Saturday 8 January 2011

Red, red, lots of red


So my love for Red Riding Hood is obvious and naturally I am intrigued by the new Red Riding Hood movie that is out soon, starring Amanda Seyfried as Valerie, the titular Red Riding Hood who falls in love with an orphaned woodcutter whilst her village is plagued by a werewolf. Directed by Catherine Hardwicke of Twilight and Thirteen fame, it's already being criticised as another Twilight effectively, though time will tell.

I hope not but the trailers imply it is less of a horror and more of the all too familiar 'forbidden romance' with a supernatural backdrop much like Twilight. I am quite happy to give it a chance though I suspect it won't be all I'm hoping for.


I do love the poster but it is very familiar to another Red Riding Hood poster of a movie I was more hopeful about that I very much doubt is happening now as this seems to have eclipsed it. Joseph Bat's A Tale of Red Riding Hood promised to very much be the horror I hoped for and it seemed to be in the works long before Red Riding Hood with a planned 2009 release. Whether Amanda Seyfried's version was hatched based on this or it is just a coincidence is unknown but it is unlikely that two Red Riding Hood movies will happen so close to each other.



A pity really as this one had a lot of promise. Continuing in the vein of the sudden Red Riding Hood love, American McGee of Alice fame is supposedly creating a game based around the popular fairytale, naturally named American McGee's Little Red Riding Hood. Hopefully it will be just as good as Alice but who knows when it will happen as he is working on the Alice sequel- Alice: Madness Returns.

No comments: