Sunday 4 September 2011

New Red Riding Hood Costumes

So we're approaching my favourite holiday and naturally I've had a look at the latest Red Riding Hood costumes to see if there are any decent ones out since interest has been renewed thanks in part to the Catherine Hardwicke movie.

This is this year's delux costume replacing the rather dull long, black skirt and red velvet corset combo, and as gorgeous as it is it's also this year's most expensive coming in at roughly $200/£124 depending on where you get it from, it's also quite tricky to find probably because of that price tag. It is made with real velvet rather than velour, which explains the price but it does not come with the stockings or basket, as none of them do. I have to admit it's the only mostly red costume that I really love, generally I prefer the additional black half-corset as it adds a nice contrast whereas all red is too much but on this it really works, probably because there is black in the skirt and black lacing to break things up. I'm not too sure about the lingere styled red ruffles at the bottom, they take away some of the style of the costume, although they probably add some dignity. My favourite piece is the rose in the centre of the chest and that gorgeous capulet.



Next is the cheaper version of the deluxe costume, a more affordable $60/£38, it's called Divine Miss Red Riding Hood. I'm not a fan of this one, I think it looks tacky and the red silk with black lace short sleeves and corset details just clash with the black Xs over the white, and like with the other, the red ruffle trim just looks tacky. I'm not sure what the material is but it looks like faux silk, which from experience looks awful in reality unlike the photographs and certainly does not justify the £60-70 price tag some online stores have slapped on it. I also hate the red bows and black cuffs on the sleeves, the sleeves just don't look like they belong.



This one, Sexy Red Hot Riding Hood, is cheap, simple and cute, following the basic formula of red skirt, white gyspy top, black corset and red hood. It does look cheaply made and the top is probably shorter than it looks and the skirt higher but that is the risk with these costumes. The capulet is far too short for my liking but some might prefer it. For a costume you're only going to wear one night it would probably do the job for most people.

In my case I'm going to stick to the costume I have (though it is tempting to wear my Girl Scout costume again) but I'll be adding wolf ears and tail and getting a basket.

No comments: